THE WIXOM WALLED LAKE LIONS CLUB

HISTORY

To return to the Club's Web Page listing, click on the button to the right

 

To go Club Officers Page click on button to the right       

The Wixom Walled Lake Lions Club was chartered on November 11,1958 at the Walled Lake High School with over 300 Lions and guests in attendance.  Four Lions dressed as clowns and being led by PDG Wallace O'Brien, acted as Tail Twisters and presented a check to the Club for $350.

The Clubs' first fund raiser was an every street door-to-door campaign selling brooms made by the blind in Lansing. Successful? Yes! Hard Work? Yes!

The Club had its first float in the 1959 Walled Lake Memorial Day Parade which featured live flowers and a throne for Mrs. Lioness Beauty Contest winner. Our float won first prize and sense then our Club has participated in the parade ever sense! That evening we had a dance honoring our queen at the Walled Lake Casino featuring the Les Elgart Orchestra. the Casino was the best three big orchestra stops in the U.S.A.. The Casino had the last of such Live Band Orchestra one week later!

The first President was President Lion Robert W. Merkle and the Club's Secretary was Lion Edward R. Wendt. Over the past 52 years we have always tried to maintain the Lions International motto, "WE SERVE," by serving our community, the District, State and International Lions Club by helping those less fortunate!